When I was 9 or 10 years old, I was given my first computer, a free AOL trial floppy disc, and a Netscape browser. Today, I navigate the internet using mobile devices that fit in my pocket, constantly connected to rest of the world. I was encouraged to teach others about computers as early as grade school. Problem solving came easily and I was eager to share my knowledge with anyone curious enough to listen. I became the go-to a/v person, troubleshooting the world all the while teaching the world to carry-on without me.
I am currently an Instructional Designer at Brown University. I provide consultations to instructors and discuss the integration of technology into the classroom. From designing and building course websites to piloting iPads in comparative literature courses, I match technology to pedagogical goals. I’ve facilitated international collaborations with universities and organizations in China, India, Singapore, and Brazil and helped plan annual project showcases on campus. For the past few years, I’ve worked with a dedicated team adopting a new campus system, leading workshops and participating in working groups for communications, course development, and technical integration.
During my graduate studies at Johns Hopkins, I focused my research on the potential of learning analytics and data-informed decision making within organizations. I also created teaching modules for introducing the Maker Movement into K12 education.
Abstracts & Presentations
- Leveraging Canvas Data Service to run institutional level Canvas data analysis. H. Chau. NERCOMP SIG: The Application of Analytics in Instructional Design, May 23, 2017, Amherst, MA.
- Rethinking Academic Technology for the 21st-Century Teaching and Learning. C. Zabriskie, H. Chau. EDUCAUSE Annual Conference, October 27, 2016, Anaheim, CA.
- Go Canvas! Brown’s Transition to Canvas. H. Chau. Canvas Round Table at Dartmouth College, July 14, 2013, Hanover, NH.
- “I have a course shell, now what?”: Four-Step Guide to Creating a Canvas Course. H. Chau. Northeast Regional Canvas User Group 2013, April 2013, Boston, MA.
- Implementing Canvas on Campus. H. Chau, A. Vaill. NERCOMP Canvas User Group, September 13, 2012, Norwood, MA.
- Process as Product: LMS Community Engagement in the Selection Process. C. Zabriskie, H. Chau, W. Drexler. InstructureCon, June 2012, Park City, UT.
- Usability on a Shoestring: Techniques You Can Use Today. D. Bretthauer, M. St. James, N. Reynolds, H. Chau, C. Saarinen. NERCOMP SIG on Usability Testing, September 2011, Norwood, MA.
Developing online and blended courses using Coursera, Canvas, Blackboard, WordPress, Medium.com, Wikis, Adobe Connect, WebEx, Zoom, Piazza, mobile polling and other services.
Designing projects with CorelDRAW, Inkscape, InVision App, VCarve, TinkerCAD, and the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.)
Communicating with target audiences using Slack, Trello, Slides.com, Keynote, Canva, Google Apps, Campaign Monitor, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Camtasia, Adobe Captivate, Microsoft Office Suite and other apps and tools.
Collecting, synthesizing, and reporting data with Google Analytics, Google Spreadsheet & Forms, Tableau, MS Excel, Plot.ly, Cognos, Qualtrics and other tools.